Monday 2 July 2012

What about network marketing?

Business MeetingAs an aspiring entrepreneur I am always looking for opportunities within business. Network marketing was one area when researching potential business opportunities which caught my attention. This was for a number of reasons. For example it would give me an opportunity to do something different and learn new skills. In addition I would pay what appears to be a relatively small fee when compared to franchise
opportunities and receive some training and marketing skills to help me in my quest as an entrepreneur in network marketing. When evaluating this potential opportunity I would think even if I don't succeed I haven't lost much money.

So, why haven't I taken that leap and actually paid to join a network marketing opportunity? Why haven't I taken what would appear a low risk (although I have declared an interest in a particular network marketing opportunity)? Well, I will tell you. There are a number of statements, phrases and terminology used within network marketing that just don't sit right with me. They echo around as a constant reminder. Phrases such as "financial freedom", or use our "proven system". Then there is the many of thousands of pounds of residual income they claim you can earn using their "business model". I am an aspiring entrepreneur who likes to make decisions based on all the available evidence. However, gut instinct plays a big part in my decision making process. It may seem a basic way to make a decision but a lot of what I decide is underpinned by "if it seems too good to be true, it probably is". Although this may appear somewhat pesimistic it at least ensures I do not fall victim to a scam. Now, I am not stating that all network marketing opportunities are a scam there are many legitimate opportunities out there. Nor do I doubt there are people making a good income from network marketing. Further the aspiring entrepreneur can potentially make a lucrative income. Unfortunately, from what I have read, this kind of scenario seems to be few and far between. There is far too much hype within network marketing for me. I am of the opinion that if something is really that good it doesn't need hype. I feel that due to the level of hype within network marketing it could have a potential harmful affect to the aspiring entrepreneurs level of motivation. This is because if you do not achieve the heights of success that are claimed then they are quickly going to become disappointed and disheartened. This may lead you to feel that you are not suited to being a entrepreneur. This could be an inaccurate assumption. Remember that there are a number of different entrepreneurial opportunities. The key is finding the right one for you.

Before joining a network marketing opportunity I would urge you to research it comprehensively and objectively. Take your time to decide and don't fall in love with potential incomes that would appear to only be earned by a small few. If you would like some more information regarding network marketing and how to make a decision as to whether it is right for you I would suggest reading my Squidoo Lense "Network Marketing a Personal Perspective".

I appreciate it can be difficult knowing what opportunity as an aspiring entrepreneur is right for you. My post "Finding inspiration........." may be able to offer you some information about developing ideas as an aspiring entrepreneur.

You don't always need to think outside of the box when thinking about entrepreneurial ventures but sometimes this can help. On this note I would suggest you read the story by Eleanor Bradford on the BBC News Website "Scottish team develops 'nutritional' pizzas" which discussed how a nutritionist and entrepreneur teamed up to create a nutritional pizza.

Perhaps I have gone slightly off topic towards the end of this post. However I wanted to demonstrate within the same post how different opportunities are available. I feel it is important not to become "tunnel visioned" when there is an endless number of entrepreneurial opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment